In our WiDD community we hope you find this to be a safe space to discuss issues that are particularly important or relevant to women working in data and digital related roles. This is the perfect place to discuss issues you might not feel as comfortable discussing in broader forums. Following are some suggested topics you might like to focus on:
· Glass Ceiling: Strategies to break through leadership barriers specific to women.
· Motherhood Penalty: Navigating career progression around maternity leave or part-time work.
Inclusive Work Environments
· Gender Bias in Tech Tools: Discussing how algorithms or digital platforms may inadvertently be gender-biased.
· Sexual Harassment: A sensitive issue but one that might be more openly discussed in this forum.
· Soft skills: While technical skills are often the focus in broader communities, soft skills like emotional intelligence and communication can be discussed more openly here.
· Leadership Skills: Developing qualities for team leadership, which might not be a focus in male-dominated communities.
· Collaboration: Finding other women to collaborate with on work or side projects.
· Job Opportunities: Sharing leads on roles that are particularly supportive of women or have good diversity practices.
· Imposter Syndrome: This issue disproportionately affects women, and it might be easier to discuss among peers who understand.
· Well-being: Mental health or stress management, especially dealing with gender-specific stressors.
· Women-Centric Solutions: Leveraging data and digital tech to solve problems specifically affecting women.
· Representation in Data Sets: The importance of equitable representation in AI and machine learning models.
Advocacy and Activism
· Amplification Techniques: How to amplify other women's voices in meetings or forums.
· Policy and Governance: Discussing the need for policies that address women-specific challenges in the workplace.
Our community provides a great opportunity for these conversations to be at the forefront, and we hope WiDD provides a space for women to speak openly about their unique experiences and challenges in the field.
Do any of the above topics interest you? Let us know, and feel free to start a conversation about these in a thread.
Are there any others you'd add to the list? Or possibly like to focus on at future community meet-up events?
------------------------------Kerryn AtkinsonWomen in Digital Programs LeadAustralian Public Service Commission------------------------------
HelpAbout usContact usPrivacy noticeTerms and conditions
The Data and Digital Professions acknowledge the traditional owners and custodians of country throughout Australia and acknowledges their continuing connection to land, waters and community. We pay our respects to the people, the cultures and the elders past, present and emerging.